Thursday, September 4, 2008

About Inner Monologues


I guess I should tell you a little about what we do here at lil ol' Inner Monologues. Basically, here is how it all started. A couple of years ago, a fellow blogger found my blog and asked me if I would participate in her spoken word show at Stand Up New York. The theme was dating and sex in NYC. I had done a smattering of both, and wrote about it, so I guess that made me a candidate. After the show, I had a revelation. What if I got a group of my friends together, and we got hold of a mike, and put on a show of our own. What if we changed the themes every time? And then the Editor in me cried: Let's do workshops! Let's edit each other's pieces! And practice them! Thus...Inner Monologues was born.

I hosted the first show at a tiny bar on East 3rd street called Apocalypse Lounge. They only served PBR and some cheap wine ("red" or "white"). It had blue lighting, broken chairs, bathrooms you wouldn't want to touch without a Hazmat suit...In short, it had character. Which of course meant that before long it had to be shut down and replaced by a chic hookah lounge that sold expensive drinks. Sad times. 

Inner Monologues had gained quite a following by then--we'd been going one year strong. My group of writer friends expanded. I met other bloggers, comedians, a folk singer or two. Word got around. So luckily, we landed a sweet gig at Mo Pitkin's House of Satisfaction. Those were the days. Everyone loved Mo's. They could eat dinner, laugh at our embarassing stories, and our singer Jessica Delfino had a huge stage to prance on when she sang her showstopper, "My Pu--y is Magic."
They even let her throw glitter on the audience without protest! By the end of our first year at Mo's I had some regular performers. Hilarious people including comedians Raquel D'Apice (theuglyvolvo) and Emily Epstein (emilyepstein.blogspot.com), as well as author Julie Kraut (of the book Hot Mess). And my designer friend Dan Cohen creates all the awesome invites to my shows (see image top of page from show IX).

Well. Mo's shut down (sniff), and we had a brief stint at a gay book cafe called "The Rapture". I loved the black Santa Claus they had on stage at Christmas time. Ah well. Rapture closed, too. Its true what they say about struggling artists. We struggle!

Now we are at Bar on A. And we're going to rawk out on Sept 23rd because some performers that have been away for a while (studying abroad, writing for the NYTimes abroad, damn them all) are coming BACK! We even have some new blood.

Maybe well see you? 7pm. Be there.

Your hostess,
Lex

No comments: